Bullying refers to an unwanted aggressive behavior involving real or perceived power imbalances. Bullying has detrimental effect on a child’s health, well-being and learning. It can make children feel lonely , unhappy and frightened. Being bullied can affect everything about a child. It can also affect his/her physical , emotional , psychological and social status. Children who are bullied can experience negative physical and mental health issues.
Effects of Bullying
Children who are bullied are more likely to experience :-
• Depression and anxiety:- depression and anxiety are one of the most common effects of bullying. Depression and anxiety increased the feeling of sadness and loneliness. They lose interest in activities they used to enjoy. These issues may persist into adulthood.
• Health complaints:- children who have bullied suffer from mental health problems. At starting the may face the problem of depression or anxiety but with time these problems become complicated and turns into traumatic mental health problems. Bullying can have a lasting effect on a person’s mental health. Child who was bullied have chances to develop psychiatric disorder.
• Decrease in academic performance:- bullying can have a serious impact on a child’s educational experience and not just by causing his/her to miss school but sometimes they drop out from the school because of being bullied.
• School avoidance:- when children completely refuse to go to school, anxiety is a big reason. They might be experiencing bullying and feel too afraid to talk about it.
• Change in eating habits:- eating disorders are complex problems with a number of contributing factors. But research has shown that bullying is a significant factor in the development of eating disorders.
• Sleep disturbances:- Those children who was being bullied suffer from sleep disturbances as being bullied increases the risk of depression and anxiety in child and also cause other mental health problems. They also have nightmares at night and they have a feeling of loneliness and isolation.
• social isolation:- social isolation is also one of the consequences of bullying. as the child suffers from a lot of mental trauma and develop trust issue too. And feeling of shame developed inside the mind which cause serious demotivation inside children mind.
• low self esteem:- self esteem is an aspect that is both a risk factor and a consequence of being bullied . It is not hard to see that children who are suffering from repetitive bullying at school , at a time when that are still in the process of developing their personalities , could suffer a serious and lasting decline in self-esteem.
• difficulty in maintaining social relationship:- The consequences of bullying are significant and can have a lasting impact, children who are regularly targeted by bullies often suffer both emotionally and socially. Not only do they find it hard to make friends but they also struggle to maintain healthy relationships with others bullying victims also tend to experience a wide range of emotions.
They may feel angry , bitter , vulnerable , helpless , frustrated and lonely. in these situations, parents need to be more calm and understandable because the child is already suffers from a lot and if doesn’t have the right amount of care , attention and love from parents situation became worse for them.
Also read: Mobile Addiction and Child’s health
Please comment below and share your reviews about Bullying